The most wonderful time of the year can also be the most anxiety-inducing. Here are some ways to find joy and stay grounded as we usher in this bustling holiday season.
When I think of the holidays, I think of family—spending time sipping hot cocoa around a fire, cooking soup in my mom’s kitchen or bundling up for a brisk family walk. If we’ve learned anything over the past year, it’s just how important family truly is. Some of us have large clans, others small, and some of us consider friends as family. Whatever form yours takes, remember it’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, so stay grounded and focus on what the season is really about. My advice may go against the usual excess of the season, but I would say keep it simple. What we’re all really looking for is community and to feel loved and supported, and that doesn’t need to be complicated. But, hey, if you’re feeling something big, go for it! Just remember that it doesn’t take much to show you care. Three of my favorite small ways to spread love are giving a hug, calling someone or buying a stranger a cup of coffee.
Another word that comes to mind this time of year is overwhelmed. There’s always so much going on: parties to attend, gifts to buy, relationships to keep up with… it can seem endless. And let’s not forget all the decadent food coming your way. While all of these things aren’t inherently bad, many of us can feel triggered in different ways. So how do we get ahead of them so we can be in the moment and enjoy? Lean into your wellness routine and, most importantly, give yourself some grace. The season will ebb and flow, like our emotions, but all you’re responsible for is taking care of yourself so you can share your inherent light and love with others.
IDEAS TO PUT YOU IN THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT
1. Burn Nest’s Holiday classic candle, which features a blend of pomegranate, mandarin orange, pine, cloves and cinnamon with a hint of vanilla and amber.
2. Get outside! Bundle up and go for a walk or hit the local skating rink.
3. Try an at-home workout with a friend. The Agdal Method flows can be done anywhere! Great for a boost of endorphins before you...
4. ... put on my holiday playlist (head to open.spotify.com/user/smokeythebee and select “Fall - Cozy and vibing”) and bake your favorite cookies!
SKIN PRODUCTS I’M LOVING FOR THE COLDER WEATHER
1. Summer Fridays’ Jet Lag mask is perfect for tired and thirsty skin.
2. Tatcha’s Luminous deep hydrating lifting mask boosts moisture and plumps your skin.
3. Re?Vive’s Masque de Radiance brightening moisture mask offers a luxurious soufflelike texture that leaves dull skin looking brighter.
MY TOP THREE WAYS TO STAY GROUNDED
1. Morning routine. I always say this, but I can’t stress enough how much of a difference sticking to your morning routine makes. It will keep you balanced, and you will always have it to lean on in busy and stressful times.
2. Exercise. Enter The Agdal Method (theagdalmethod.com)! Colder temperatures can make it hard to find the motivation to get your workout in, but throw on your activewear first thing in the morning and put on your favorite playlist. Even 10 minutes will make you feel lighter physically and mentally. You won’t regret it.
3. Guided meditation. I recently discovered Sarah Blondin (sarahblondin.com), and she is amazing. Finding the time for yourself and for some quiet time can help release anxiety, tension and stress so you can enjoy the time with your loved ones (or yourself) even more.
Photography by: NINA PHOTO BY ANTOINE VERGLAS; STYLED BY JAMIE FRANKEL;